Monday, January 11, 2010

Organizing

I have a need to organize. My environment is chaotic. Crap everywhere. It drives me bonkers and affects whatever serenity I might find in a day. My home office is the worst offender. The visual noise is deafening.

I would say I'm pretty good at organzing. I often think I would like to parlay this ability into a career. But if I can't get my own house to be acceptible, how can I try to sell my services elsewhere. Seems a bit fraudulent.

Last week I went browsing at Ikea. I was specifically looking for this


which I found. It was smaller than I anticipated, so instead of the planned three, I bought one. For the office. For my son and all of his "collectibles" and supplies.

I put it together when I got home and proudly rolled it into the office.

It stands there now. Empty.

While perusing the options at Ikea I came across this

which I decided would be perfect for the basement playroom. My husband got online, looked at it, and agreed. Only I couldn't lift it. So I didn't get it. Thoroughly annoyed by my inability to lift large boxes of pressed fiberboard, we stopped at Ikea on Friday night, on our way home from somewhere else, and got in just before the store closed. We got the shelving components and Saturday they went up. Sunday the finished product got securely anchored to the wall.

And today I begin. I begin organizing my son's toys up off the floor and into cubbies and (hopefully) adequate storage. I plan to be sneaky and remove some of his old forgotten toys. I'll wait to see if he notices. Then, maybe I can pass then on.

Wish me luck. If I succeed, I'll post "after" pictures. If not, cards and flowers will be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment