Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Another Day Off

The parents among you (if there is actually anybody out there, parent or otherwise) might notice that, if you look at the school calendar, there are a lot of days off or partial school days. Not counting snow days, of which we've had none yet this school year.


Yet.

Did I say yet? These days the threat of snow is enough to close the school. Back in my day... oh, nevermind.

Today is a day off for the local school system. Why? Apparently the teachers need additional training (which they get at least once a month resulting in an early dismissal day). So my kid is home.

We've been lucky enough to be able to work from home. When I had a job, that's where I worked. Home. With an occassional foray into the office once or twice a year. What this has meant for us is that we don't have childcare issues on days like today. And now, it's really not an issue at all.

What we have is some wonderful quality time with our son. And cheap child labor.

Don't look down your nose at me. Everybody does it. Why do you think agricultural families are so large? The kids are already getting free room and board. And they're smaller than their parents. At least for awhile. So the parents can pretty much tell them what to do and the kids have to do it.

It's really not so bad. If you want bad, read some Dickens.
This kid has it easy. Which is why I have to get back to figuratively cracking the whip. Before I take the fruit of my loins to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment