Monday, January 18, 2010

Cheap Thrills

Having been deprived of my nice paying job and being still unemployed, one learns to truly appreciate the little things in life.


I remember reading something about how, when the economy tanks, lipstick sales soar. A tube of lipstick is a relatively inexpensive way to feel like you're getting a lot for a little.

For me, it's nail polish. I don't actually get manicures, or give them to myself. My hands are past hope, except for special occassions and a lot of moisturizer. My feet, however, are another consideration. I've often felt that trying to give yourself a pedicure is like trying to give yourself a massage. An exercise in futility.

Still, with the severe reduction in discretionary income (i.e., none), pedicures have become a thing of the past and my feet spend their days hiding inside my holey socks (can't afford to upgrade those either).


So now I just enjoy websites about nail polish. My toe nail color preference for the last 12 years or so has been in the blue family, preferably cobalt, with an occassional foray into green. Except one year at Christmas when I alternated red and green for happy, festive toes.

And now, when the funds are short, the colors are in full bloom. The choices out there are many and I have a few faves. There are some great blog sites out there that focus on nail color.


I do think it's unfair that the colors have gotten better as I have gotten older, thereby rendering them inappropriate to my age. Not that I pay attention to that sort of thing. But if I did, I'd have to forego wearing dark colors on my hands which are at least 20 years older than I. Because, once in a great while I do get a manicure.

And I don't get red or pink or beige.


I get dark charcoal gray. And I love it.

Just in case you're wondering, I'm not a goth chic. Nor do I fall into the "chic" category any longer. Unless the person categorizing is some old geezer. With a lot of money. Then, maybe if he didn't smell too bad, I could be his "chic."

With an awesome mani and pedi.

No comments:

Post a Comment