Thursday, January 28, 2010

Why Can't I Get a Good Margarita?



We live in a town of few choices. Food choices, that is. Which makes takeout decidedly unclimactic.

A coupla years back, when my sister was in town, and my cousin was in town, we all met at the local Mexican place. I wanted a margarita and chips and salsa (can't do chips without the salsa). I ordered my margarita with a really nice dark tequila that I like.

The drink came in a tiny wine glass and the color was all wrong. It tasted like shit. I drank the crap cocktail because it had cost a small fortune and I vowed to myself that I'd switch to beer next round.

And then a different bartender appeared, and it was time for another round and I said to him, "Are your margaritas better than his margaritas". "Oh, yes," he said. What he should have said was "Oh, yes. Sucker." I bit and I ordered the same thing I started with. Because it's not good to mix, right?

Drink number two came and it was the same awful crap I'd been overcharged for on the first round.

A Mexican restaurant serving the worst margarita ever?

Moral of this story:

Always keep the vows you make to yourself,

and

Just because the only Mexican restaurant in a 20 mile radius wins awards, doesn't mean the food is good OR that they know how to make a margarita.

The local Irish-style pub? They make awesome margaritas.

Two years ago for my birthday we took a little road trip to another Mexican type place. Their margaritas came in Mason jars. And they have a two-margarita limit. Why?

I don't know, but I can't remember the ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment