Saturday, January 16, 2010

Warm But Still Cold

We've been freezing our privates off for the past few weeks, but yesterday I had an outdoor moment that almost felt like Spring. I was in a neighborhood warmer than mine. It's thirty miles away, but I think I crossed an invisibile line and wound up in the tropics. Not sure which tropic, but it was positively balmy nonetheless.


Then I came home and on the drive watched the thermometer in the car drop degree by degree. There's not enough cement and conjestion around here to absorb the heat of the sun. At least that's my guess.


Today was also warm. I wouldn't call it balmy - the skaters are still out on the pond enjoying its frozen aspect. But the snow in my driveway is creating large puddles, the dirt has more the consistency of mud, and I fear that when the termperature drops, the tires will be frozen in place in the mud puddle turned ice block.

Despite all of this global warming, I still can't seem to get warm. I need the big fuzzy blanket while watching TV to contain my body heat. My kiddo likes to climb under the blanket with me. I bask in that warmth. How much longer can I expect this growning eight year old to want to cuddle under a blanket with his mom?

We were hoping for a brief, fresh snowfall this weekend. With the holiday on Monday to remember Martin Luther King Jr. and then the teacher 'in service' on Tuesday, allowing a four-day weekend, there was the hope of some sledding.


More like a mud slide. And not the tasty kind with vodka, Kahlua and Baileys. (Although... that's giving me an idea.)

And the boy has a head full of muck, which isn't quickly and conveniently making it's way southward out of his nose. Not that he feels badly. He just can't have a playdate.

Except with me.

Poor kid. He keeps me warm, but I'm really not that much fun.

I guess that's something I've got to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment