Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday!

When my alarm went off this morning, I thought it was Saturday and rolled over. Then I remembered my alarm doesn't go off on Saturday mornings and, despite the overwhelming urge to ignore it, I hit the snooze button.

I must have hit it three times, but I only remember hitting it twice.

Eventually, I realized that denial wasn't going to change the fact the Junior would not be getting up either, unless I did something about it.

Getting my kid up for school is one of the less pleasant tasks in my day. Mostly because it means I have to get up and I don't want to. So I go into his room and cuddle with him for a few minutes. Then I tickle him just to make sure he's awake.

I love those quiet moments we have together. We talk about the dreams we had or, more likely, his inventions - picking up where we left off when he was falling asleep. He's still quiet with sleep in his head so there's a purity about our conversation.

Oh geez, somebody shoot me with this scmaltzy crap already.

Sorry. Unless you've got kids in your life, that you get to hang with when they're in that quiet place, there's no way to explain those little moments without getting all sentimental. They're so fleeting. Even a coffee buzz can't marginalize them.

There's a exam word. I never use that word: marginalize. Not sure where it came from. I must have read it somewhere else.

Rainy weekend ahead. Good time to go to a movie. This weekend it might be "Monsters vs Aliens." Afterward there will be the motorcycle race video game followed by a trip to Denny's.

We do things big out here in the sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment