Thursday, March 19, 2009

Boiled Dinner

I'm a pretty good cook and I love to cook for people. And I can create a meal out of bits and pieces of things that might not look like much to a less enthusiastic cook.

The one thing I can't do to save my life? I can't roast a piece of meat. I have tried and failed more times than I can count. I follow directions on the correct oven temp, and how many hours per pound. It just never works. The stupid little thermometer never pops up. I underestimate how long it will take and hours later we finally eat.

That's not to say I might not successfully roast something if, say, a small, troll-like man named Rumplestilskin was threatening to take my first born (and only) child.

But give me a piece of meat I can cook in a pot on the stovetop, and I will achieve wondrous things.

Sauerbraten. Can't order it out anymore because nobody makes it better than me. Sorry. I'm not bragging. It's just a fact.

And I made a really good Corned Beef with all the fixins on St. Patrick's Day. You shoulda been here. It was really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment