Friday, June 11, 2010

Speaking of Squirrels

The squirrels around here have a death wish. Either that or they're so wired on crack that they're not even aware that they are crossing the street.

IN FRONT OF A CAR

I have an inherent disgust of killing anything that I'm not eating and wasn't already dead to begin with.

Out here in the pseudo-country there are plenty of narrow roads and foliage cover for little critters to dart out of and into traffic. Now, granted, their brains and smaller than most of the food they eat, but you would think there would have been some evolutionary growth or understanding of car = dead.

Maybe it's our crappy school system so that, evolutionarily speaking, the squirrels are as far behind in understanding the fatality of a close encounter with a car, as my son was in reading. He's caught up thanks to an aggressive campaign on our part which had little to do with the school in question. I speak of external remediation.

I also digress.

The plain, unvarnished truth of the matter is: this is a backward town. With backward squirrels. And for that matter the chipmunks aren't doing much to help the perception of unaware rodents.

Seems to me, the only thing they're actually good at is digging holes in our yard. There are accidents waiting to happen all over the freakin' place. And we all know who it is that will end up in ER.

Maybe, when I'm headed for the ER, I just won't swerve to avoid an ill-advised romp across the road. Maybe I'll just hit it.

Of course, then I'll need a sedative for the guilt. Sedatives are not necessarily bad things.

No comments:

Post a Comment