Saturday, June 12, 2010

Cleveland isn't Prague


A friend posted "Cleveland isn't Prague" as his Facebook status. It kind of stopped me in my tracks because it just reinforced the fact that I haven't done the world traveling I had expected to when I was younger.

And it sucks.

And just to clarify, I was referring to Prague, not Cleveland.

I have done a little traveling. And, as an actor, I've had the opportunity to live in different communities, not just work there. Most of these places are limited to the east coast of the US - Maine to Florida. But I did have the opportunity to spend a July in Alaska and it was quite the learning experience. Although, as much as I got to see in Alaska, we never stayed in one place for more than two or three days.

Outside of the US I've been to Canada, Mexico, the Carribbean, England, Paris, and Northern Germany. And none of those in recent memory.

My husband travels for work. He's been all over the world: Europe, Asia (China and India), Australia and New Zealand, Africa. While I stay here in New England, holding down the fort and washing dishes.

That part sucks too.

So I say to you would-be travelers: Go! Travel while you're young and have the time and no committments. Don't wait, because it may not happen. You may find yourself middle-aged and renewing an unstamped passport, and using a picture you really don't want to have to live with for the next 10 years.

That part sucks most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment