Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Danger of Power Tools

Put a cordless drill in my hands and what happens? Holes in the wall. THAT's what happens. Several holes in the wall.


Despite the destructive pleasure it provides, I'm not sure I should be trusted with a cordless drill or anything else that cuts, slices or sands. Seriously. It's bad enough with a painbrush. And now I'm sorely tempted, as I wait for some spackle to dry, to wander aimlessly around the house and leave a trail of holes in the walls. Just because I can. And because the battery for the drill is charged.

It's been a frustrating couple of days. So many projects; so little time. And the gods of home improvement are toying with me. Just when I think I've measured and leveled and have it all perfect, the drill bit slides a little south and I'm faced with a hole just a hair too far from the other. The plastic anchors don't open, and on the other side... what's this? A stud???? WTF?

I might have known a stud was there if I could find the stud finder. I wonder if there is a finder for the stud finder. Be that as it may, I can't find the stud finder, because the last person who used it (not me) put it away in some illogical place. It won't be seen again until another one is purchased and it turns up when I'm looking for something else.

I finally committed to a paint color for the upstairs bathroom, but the hardware store was out of the base needed to mix the color for the texture I want. My plan was to pick it up yesterday and start painting as soon as the boy was on the bus to school this morning. Had that been the case, the room would be painted by now.

Alas! What games these gods do play.

Or maybe it's my toil that brings trouble. I need a new cauldron.

I now need to return to the hardware store, get my paint (gods willing) and get some longer screws for the holes that lead to studs. The screws I had were for the plastic anchors.


I've considered throwing in the towel and spending the rest of the day watching HGTV and finishing off a bottle of sparkling wine. It's
called Bitch Bubbly.

That bottle has my name on it.

Lu gave it to me. She's a good friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment