Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Steamtown National Historic Site


So it's a week later. What do you want from me? It's been a very stressful week and the diazepam sitting in my cupboard, from the time I was incapacitated by my back, is calling to me loud and clear. Can you hear it? Well, I guess it's Soft and Clear. That very small voice saying...

come to me...

come to me...

one little pill...

That's how it begins y'know. That slippery slope into peace and bliss. With that one tiny yellow pill.



Mmmmmm. 

Or is it pink?

Okay, I'm back.

No, I'm not bipolar.

Yet.

Steamtown. Yes, I remember I was going to post pictures. But it took me this long to download them from the many memory cards loaded with pictures of trains. Trains and steam. Steam and trains. Metal sculpture. Those locomotives really are fascinating to look at. For a awhile. After four days...


Did I mention we were there for four days? Good. Did I mention that Steamtown is next to a mall (or perhaps the mall is next to Steamtown). There is a footbridge connecting the food court of the mall to the Park. I managed to get some me-time at the mall during one of the those four days. That mall-time included a necessary pit-stop for a latte at Starbucks. And a few clothing purchases. We don't have any stores where I live.

I think there are more Starbucks shops than book shops in Scranton.

*discuss*

We don't have any bookstores where I live either.

But there IS a Cumberland Farms.


I will make a plug for the park. Steamtown National Park is a great place. The rangers, docents and volunteers make it a wonderful visit. This was our second trip and this time of year seems to be a good time to go. The weather is cool, the crowds are absent, and the steam locomotives are still running. The heat is turned on in the building and there's no line for the bathroom.

Works for me.

So here are a few snaps for your viewing enjoyment.


Unless you don't like trains.

If you don't like trains, you should not be looking at the photos.

PS. Sorry about the picture quality. Scranton is basically upstate NY where the skies are gray. Add to that the ever present coal smoke and other assorted soot and it's not exactly lovely. And I don't have the proper editing software, and I'm using a point-n-click camera dammit.



No comments:

Post a Comment