Thursday, October 22, 2009

Books, Coffee and Trader Joes


Books are probably one of the most important things in my life (next to my son and coffee - GOOD coffee). Now if only I smoked, eh?

As mentioned in yesterday's post, bookstores are scarce around here. One of the the first things I missed when I moved away from suburban sprawl was Trader Joes. The second thing I missed was Barnes & Noble. A big bookstore with a cafe serving Starbucks in the back, and only about a mile and a half from home.

That bookstore was a destination for me. I'd go in, get a coffee, and browse the new age section, the children's section, the magazine racks. Get a bunch of stuff to peruse and go find a place to sit. If I was lucky it was one of the comfy chairs.

Then we moved and I pined. I pined for the bookstore. I pined for a nearby Starbucks. I pined for Trader Joes.

I have very simple needs. Good coffee, a good book and good, inexpensive food.



My Mom and I took a road trip to the nearest Trader Joes a couple of days ago. It's a 60 mile roundtrip drive (Trader Joes are you listening?) I'll go back again sometime before Christmas. After that it'll be a few months until I make another trip. sigh.

A Starbucks appeared in the hood a couple of years ago. When I say "in the hood" what I really mean is that it's in the next town over which is about 8 miles away. But I go. I have to go. The same town has the only decent bookstore within miles, although there's no cafe. But they do carry a great selection of bags. As in purses. As in cool accessories. As in I'm a girl, okay?

And cards and journals too.

It's a tradeoff. Today I will suffer through a cup of joe I make for myself. And it will probably give me a headache. But I get to live in a town where chickens wander along the side of the road, there are only three traffic lights, and rush-hour is the backup in front of the elementary school during morning drop off.

Across from the school and down the road maybe a quarter of a mile is a view of the river as it winds it's way through town. This time of year it's a sight to behold. The river becomes glass and the sky and foliage reflect like mirror images. It reminds me to breath. Which is good because I'm usually stuck behind someone doing the speed limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment