Thursday, September 10, 2009

Kirk vs Bond

We're already counting down to Halloween. A little more than seven weeks to go. I have found that, for my own peace of mind, I need to try to pin down costume preferences by early September. Yes, I hate seeing the candy on shelves in August. But I'm one of those people who tries to avoid things like running out of milk. Which translates into "I'm not going into a party store the week before Halloween to pick out a costume."


We've already ordered Captain Kirk's uniform for Halloween. I do still need to find black pants, but the key components are on their way.

Manifest:
(1) Star Trek original series captain's uniform shirt
(1) Star Trek original series phaser
(1) Star Trek original series communicator

It's all about authenticity.

But here's the thing. Where we live it's not just about Halloween night and the annual trick-or-treat. It's also about the Pumpkin Festival the Saturday before Halloween (costumes optional, except in our case where they are mandatory), and let us not forget about the costume parade at school in the days leading up to Halloween.

All of this makes for too many opportunities to changes one's outfit. Like at a Cher concert - every time she comes onstage she's wearing something else.

In the case of my son, Captain Kirk was one of his two final costume choices. The other thing he wants to be for Halloween is a spy. Not sure which spy - maybe Perry the Platypus. Be that as it may, his spy costume requires purchase of a suit. Preferably black. White shirt, black tie. The key piece here, though, will be the dark glasses. You can't be a spy without them.
But I will still need to purchase a suit.

Personally, I think the kid just wants a suit. He likes to dress up. And it will look good with his black cowboy hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment