Friday, April 10, 2009

Dishpan Hands

The In-Laws Are Coming, The In-Laws Are Coming!

I love my sis-in-law. She's smart, funny, cool, pretty, and very tall. She and her longtime boyfriend recently got married in a civil ceremony. There will be a wedding later this year. But I've yet to meet him face to face, so I'm all excited about having them here. I guess maybe he's not that long-time a boyfriend. Well, I don't know. He has been living abroad for a portion of their relationship, so what the hell do I know.

Back to my hands. They're dry to begin with. But today I've put them to work. Cleaning. Cleaning the house. Especially Junior's room. It looks so nice now. Like a kid doesn't actually live in it. Which is good because the inflatable queen-sized mattress wouldn't fit otherwise.

So to prepare for this visit, which is auspicious because Hubby's family almost never visits, today I did three loads of laundry, handwashed two (or was it three) loads of dishes, made a cake, made the frosting, frosted the cake, vacuumed every inch of space I could push the vacuum into (I think I found dust bunnies from our move three years ago), unearthed the "Easter-ware", made yet another trip to the market, stopped by the local farmstand for mini-daffodils, and something else. I can't remember.

I am a cleaning, cake-baking machine.

Hubby is picking up dinner, along with some beer, and I am so looking forward to kicking back with some cold sesame noodles, a case of beer, and an episode from the original Star Trek series. I may immerse my hands in the cold sesame noodles. They're a little dry from all of the water and Easter egg dyeing. I think the dye stains improved the look of my kitchen counter. It certainly looked pretty in the sink.

I should be pretty relaxed by the time the in-laws get here.

They're driving up from DC. They may not get here until Sunday. They'll stay long enough to have a pee-break, eat some ham, and get back on the road. With any luck, they'll be back in DC by Wednesday.

I need Madge. Remember Madge? (Yes, I'm THAT old.) I could use a manicure. And a dip in the hot tub. We have a hot tub. Came with the house. It's not running. It's empty, but the top makes a great birdbath. I'm pretty sure there is an entire colony of chipmunks living in there as well.

But I digress. I do that a lot.

Can't seem to stay on topic. If only I could get a job being flighty.

Just waiting for that beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment