Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas Carols


Christmas is approaching and Carols are on the brain of my eight year old. He spontaneously bursts into his version of Deck The Halls, Joy To The World, Jingle Bells and the theme song to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.



When I say "his version" what I mean is that he will make up his own lyrics to a song when he can't quite make out what they are. Or he'll just kind of hum.

Jingles Bells has been on his brain for months, but lately a different version has emerged. Perhaps you know it better this way:


Jingle Bells
Batman Smells
Robin laid and egg
The batmobile has lost a wheel
And Joker does ballet

An oldie but goodie. I'd heard this one, but more familiar to me is this version:

Jingle Bells
Santa smells
Rudolf laid an egg

(that's all I got)


My personal favorites are equally irreverent; I'm partial to the South Park Christmas album. Whenever I'm alone in the car, I put it in the cd player, crank up the volume and sing along full volume. It's very satisfying.

Tonight, when the Cub Scouts gather outside on the green to decorate a tree for the town, there will be hot chocolate and caroling. I'm sure it will be very sweet, and I can't wait to hear all about it, since I'll be staying warm at home and not dealing with Cub Scout moms.

Talk about cold.

Here's hoping you see some lights and hear some carols to warm your heart on these (cold) winter days.

No comments:

Post a Comment