Sunday, November 22, 2009

Heat


How many things we take for granted. Like heat and hot water to name two. This past week the house was nearly heat-free for two days. It was cold in here. Not as cold as it might have been. After all, outside temps were in the 50's. Still, this tired, out of shape body needed all the blankets I could find just to stay warm while watching tv. That's what tired, out of shape people do. They sit around, wrapped in mulitple blankets and watch tv. No exercize for us, dammit!

Thankfully, the gods of heat and hot water took pity on me and provided plenty of the latter. Hot showers, and lots of 'em. The only drawback - well, two actually - eventually you have to get out, and then you have dry skin.

I'll take the dry skin. Because I couldn't take living in a warmer climate. I love New England. I love the seasons. Especially this time of year when it's supposed to be cool and brisk for that walk you take after you have eaten more food than one person should at a single sitting. I love Thanksgiving because I love the carbs. Carbs and wine. Wine and carbs. And dessert, dessert wine, and carbs.



YUM

So, inspite of the fact that it's a few days shy of Thanksgiving, and in spite of the fact that I've digressed from the original topic of heat (or lack thereof), I will offer my thanks and gratitude.

I am thankful and grateful for heat, hot water, carbs, wine, dessert, coffee, and little boys who give great big hugs.

There's other stuff too. But this is a good start. I think I'll go boil some water, make some coffee and give my kid a big hug. And I don't need to wear socks for any of these things because the heat is back on.

But I still like my blankets.

No comments:

Post a Comment