Tuesday, August 4, 2009

To Boldy Go, Redux

After hearing a radio ad while in my car yesterday, I made a snap decision to take my kid on a road trip, an hour away, to catch the latest film version of Star Trek which was being presented in IMAX.

Don't you just love run-on sentences?

We'd already seen it, but he had wanted to see it again. Being the diligent parents we are, we never followed through and the film has long since left local theatres.

So when, by chance, I heard on the radio that it was showing, not only in IMAX, but in our old stomping grounds, I thought, "we should do this." Then I thought "if I don't say anything to anyone they'll never know that it's playing there and I won't have to go."

I said something and the surprise road trip was in the works before I could change my mind.
There's something to be said for sponteneity. It happens so quickly that you can't talk yourself out of it. And Junior was overjoyed. He's a good traveler. Always has been. I picked him up from camp, gave him the choice to go or to veto, and needless to say, we were on our way.

The timing was perfect. Just enough time after camp to get down there (in spite of the traffic), grab a quick bite to eat and then go to the theatre.

Did I mention the model of the NCC-1701 accompanied us, not only on this outing, but into the theatre. He couldn't wait to show it off to other potential Trekkies.

The movie was good on the big screen. It had been a couple of months since we'd seen it, so I'd forgotten a few details. The boy was on the edge of his seat for the big scene near the end. Literally. On the edge of his seat, hardly able to sit still and shaking his fists at the bad guy. My one problem with an action film on such a large screen; in spite of sitting in the last row, the images were so big, and some of the editing was so fast, that I couldn't actually see what was going on and I had to close my eyes more than once.

Aside from that, I felt satisfied. I had done my parental duty. I had a happy boy, And I remembered to bring his pajamas so he could sleep in the car and not have to change when we got home.

There's so little sponteneity in my life these days. When it happens, and when it works, it's pretty damn cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment