Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Pool at the Y


Last year I bought a "summer membership" at the local YMCA. Then I let the membership lapse because we just didn't use it enough to make it pay for itself.

I don't know about other Y's, but ours will let you buy a guest pass for a day. I figured that, in the long run, buying an occassional guest pass would be more cost effective than maintaining a memebership.

Which seems to be the case because we haven't been to the Y in almost a year.

But yesterday, with it's temps in the 90s and bad air quality, we decided it might be a good day to enjoy an indoor pool.

And it was.

The water temperature was a lovely 88 degrees. The sun wasn't beating down on us. There were lots of kids for my boy to play with. And an ample deep-end to jump into. Repeatedly. Over and over again. I'm tired just thinking about it.

We stayed in that pool for two hours straight. Until they kicked us out so the seniors could swim.

And later I thought, "why am I so tired?" I wasn't swimming laps or anything. And then I realized; I'd been treading water.

Pretty much for two hours straight.

I'm tired just thinking about that too.

I think we're going to have to do this again. We are a couple of fish, my boy and I. Swimming rejuvenates us.
And exhausts me.

No comments:

Post a Comment