Sunday, March 20, 2011

Back On The Horse

Time to get back on the horse and get back up to date. The Equinox is upon us and the prospect of even longer days looms bright and hopeful.


My son turned 10 a week ago today. A lot has happened to him in the past few weeks. Reaching the decade mark, getting braces, moving up a size in pants so it doesn't look like he's waiting for the flood, making maple syrup from the trees in our yard. He's a "big" kid. Nearly a young man, but not quite. Yet.

It's hard for the mother of an only child to see this happen. To want to see your child thrive and grow and develop, but to have to let go of that small, sweet, dependent creature for one who's already on his way to leaving the nest.

And then he does something like stop you in the hallway, throw his arms around you and whisper "I love you." It's like to break a mother's heart.

I love this time of year when the earth is waking, and warming air invites you to open as many windows and doors as possible. My little garden in front of the house has it's own micro-climate. My crocuses (croci?) have been up for weeks and are on their last legs. The daffodils are starting to make their entrances.

This is when I get motivated to grow pretty things. It doesn't last long. Usually about five minutes of raking or digging or weeding is enough to break me of the desire. Frankly, I'd rather be in the kitchen cooking. Out in the fresh air equals a nice walk or sitting in a shady spot with a good book.

I welcome Spring. Like the Who's who welcome Christmas. This year I will welcome Spring by taking down the last of my outdoor Christmas lights. It's time. The snow is truly gone - at least for now. Make hay while the sun shines, right?

And Happy Birthday my sweet, wonderful boy. I love you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment