Friday, November 12, 2010

Upgrading the Decor

 My absence is unforgivable (to me), but I'm working on a new blog site which I hope to launch soon.


Meanwhile, I'm in the throes of, not so much redecorating, as just decorating. We are hosting family for Thanksgiving who have never visited us before. The college dorm that is my house has been neglected for years and I've tired of life without curtains. So I bought some and hung them.


But first, I had to mount the curtain rods.

I am a goddess with a cordless drill, but mounting the hardware for the rods almost bested me. I say "almost". It took me hours to mount two of the three rods and I had to quit due to an appointment. The appointment required that I be dressed in clothes acceptible to going out in public (and my standards are remarkably low), wearing shoes, hair artfully scrunched, and actually leaving the premises also known as home.

The following day, with the TV tuned to mindless morning television, I tackled the third and final curtain rod. Much to my amazement, it only took 30 minutes. I was so stoked that I went crazy drilling holes and mounting various and sundry hardware in both of my bathrooms. And I'm pleased to inform you, and any future guests, that our toilet paper is finally hanging in an easy to reach place on the wall, rather than hiding out on the back of the toilet.

Muscle memory, and middle-aged dementia, indicates that it's been years since our toilet paper was in a place that didn't require a full body twist to locate.

The cordless drill has done it's job, and now that my sewing machine is out of the shop, it's time to make bathroom curtains. And holiday gifts. And maybe repair a few sad things around the house.


Oh, and I've finally hung the artwork.

Four years after we moved in, it looks like we live here. Uh, no. Scratch that. The clutter in the house leaves no doubt that we live here. But it does look more like a home I'd like to welcome friends and family into.

And once they're here, and I've washed more dishes in two days than I usually wash in a week, I'll be ever so happy to see them leave. I'll swear off having overnight guests ever again.

Until I finally forget how much work it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment